Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Marie Antoinette

It was not nearly as anachronistically stylized as I had expected from watching the teaser trailer I saw a year ago. Sofia Coppola is a good director here, in terms of the composition of her shots, but her writing leaves much to be desired, as I felt the script needed more depth- simply showing how Marie went from a sweet teenager to a spoiled queen because of the shallowness and callousness of court life is not interesting enough in itself to make for a compelling film. As it is, I enjoyed aspects of it, but as the movie went on, my attention started to wane. Without the stylization, I would have been utterly bored. I would definitely watch it again. I have never particularly cared for Kirsten Dunst, but she is very appealing and sympathetic in this role.

Click

Although not wholly unentertaining, it's full of persistent and unnecessary crude humor, the premise about the remote is gimmicky, Kate Beckinsdale looks great but isn't given much to do, and are we really supposed to believe that Sandler is a workaholic architect? The film's view of the future is very American and bourgeois, as if no social upheaval or world war will ever affect the national lifestyle.

Hidden Assassin

It wasn't better than I expected, but it wasn't as dull as I had feared. The premise, while not original, would have been serviceable for a character study, and the direction, while not bad, could have been more effective. But if you like Maruschka Detmers, then it is worth at least one rental. Check out one of the guys playing a Cuban official, he looks like David Arquette- which makes the character very unconvincing!

Faustina

The filmmakers here have avoided the cloyingly sentimental tone that some religious films adopt, but it is still slow, and not really long enough to do justice to Sister Faustina's life as recounted in her diary.

Wasabi

Although much more could have been done with the not very original premise, I still enjoyed it. I like Jean Reno, and I like the Luc Besson style of making films that are French but not arty.

1 Comments:

Blogger Callide Faber said...

How do you define 'arty'?

Luc Besson's films are extensions of the Hollywood model and therefore unnecessary. Perhaps it would be better if you looked at why you enjoy the types of movies you see and what you hope and expect from a movie.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home