Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Crank

Without exaggeration, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I knew from the outset it was going to be bad, once that abominable metal music began.

The premise of the plot has been done before (though I am at a loss to remember titles). The execution could have been played for comedy, satire, drama, or viscerality. Instead, the overheated direction and editing reminded me of a particular CSI: Miami episode about someone re-enacting one of those gang-banger vice-squad type video games, and that is exactly what the film feels like.

I like Amy Smart, who plays the girlfriend, but I was ashamed and embarassed for her that she would stoop to such an undignified level such as she does here and for the sake of what is an artless film.

Jason Statham was truly heroic in The Transporter films, and I was very disappointed in him personally to assent to act in this trash. The amorality of his character is appalling; why does he have to be a hitman? Could he not as easily been made a police officer or a member of the military targeted for assassination? This could have been Transporter 3, which is why I went to watch it and what I was expecting from it.

And I hate the ending- although I could respect the finale if the filmmakers had invested depth to their characters, in the context of such shallowness, it only seals the filmmakers intentions as cheap, gross, jaded, and nihilistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home